Thursday 23 June 2011

Before There Was Mozart by Lesa Cline-Ransome



This is a really beautiful picture book. It is the story of joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George. He is a boy whose mother was a black slave, and whose white father was the plantation owner. It's a story that I think happened many times over - but this is the first picture book I've ever read about a story like this. Joseph Boulogne became a famous violinist who even played for the King and Queen of France (quite unheard of when you're a Molatto).

What was most interesting was reading the book to my students. The idea of people being slaves, or people being treated differently because of their color is soooooo foreign to them. I'm so grateful for that.

I skipped parts of the book. There's some things that just hurt my heart and feel uncomfortable to talk about, even though they're part of history.

No comments: