Saturday 19 December 2015

The Early Bird Gets The....mess to deal with??

The trouble with getting to school early is you're the first to find the flood. Not a great way to start the day!

I wish I had taken pictures. It was quite the scene!

Here is the story:

Being the swim parent that I am, I can rarely sleep past 4:30. So, even though there was no practice today, after a few minutes of debating whether I should sleep in or get up since I was awake anyway, I decided to get up so I could tackle those bulletin boards and Edmodo quizzes and prep the craft for today.

I arrived in the dark of the morning, just after 6:30. When I walked in, I could hear a swishing sound. It sounded like someone was in the school. Eeek! That's a little scary when you are pretty sure you're the first one there.


I turned off the alarm and snapped on the lights and....slop, slop, slop,....I was walking in water an inch or two deep. I walked down the hall, rounded the corner, and saw a horizontal gusher coming out of the caretaker's room. Pretty cool sight! Who knew so much force could come out of one little tap!

I stood there with my mouth gaped open. Now whadya do??? I considered donning a garbage bag but then decided I likely wouldn't be able to retrieve one without getting soaked anyway, so I went straight for the spot the gusher was coming out of. I figured if I kept my coat on it'd take a bit to soak before it got to getting my clothes soaked.

I did the breast stroke into the stream of water, approached the sink, and presto. Gusher averted. Problem solved.

Well sort of.

I stood there wondering, do I just go get ready for the day? Or is school going to be cancelled? Or do I start cleaning up? Is that my job? Where is the mop anyway? 


I did the backstroke down to my room, found my phone list and woke Preston up. He put on his superman cape and came over to the school, rolled up his pants and saved the day. "No! There's no need to cancel school!" he says. "We can handle this!"

He reassigned classes. Cancelled specialties. Found a secondary route for kids to get to the bathrooms...and we were back in business.


*sigh*

If only I had stayed in bed and arrived at a normal hour, the entire place would have been wet and school could have been cancelled.

*double sigh*

Live and learn! LOL

No comments: