Monday 20 August 2007

Feeling the Spirit

I keep thinking I need to get caught up some of our summer events...but sometimes just continuing on is easier than catching up!!


Yesterday during church Peirce was lying with his head on my lap. Suddenly he sat up and asked me a question about why the speaker would burn his testimony. As I talked to him I realized he was referring to a comment the speaker had made about his testimony burning in his heart. To a 5 year old that was interpreted that as an idea that the guy had written his testimony down and burned it up in a fire. I quietly told him that he actually meant that when he shared his testimony his heart felt warm and that that was the Holy Ghost telling him that what he was saying was true. So tonight for FHE we followed up on that and had a discussion about feeling the spirit. We talked about how it feels and when you can feel it (i.e. what you have to do to feel the spirit). I asked Jill if she could tell us about a time that she felt the spirit and she said when she has blessings before school starts she has really felt the spirit. I asked if she'd ever felt the spirit at church, she thought for a second and matter of factly said, "Nope." I kind of had to chuckle. It really made me think about how important it is that we provide opportunities for our kids to learn the gospel. Sometimes it would be easier to just leave it to primary teachers and such - but clearly it isn't always totally covered that way! LOL

No comments: