Saturday 27 November 2010

It's Over!

When I took a teaching position this past Spring I figured I could do anything for 3 months and that it would be so short it would hardly hit our radar screen. Well, was I wrong about that. It was short - but it was impactful and a big steep learning curve for me to climb, and really quite life-changing.

I should have put a page in the back of my day plan book to write down the lessons I was learning...but it seemed like life was spinning so fast there was hardly time. I'll try to capture some of the things I learned here:

  • I learned that I really really love teaching. I always had a hard time nailing down why I wanted to be a teacher. I finally just figured I liked kids and wanted to be around them and just in case I never got married and had my own, teaching would be a good way to have some in my life. Then, when I did have my own children I thought I really didn't want or need to go back to teaching. After all, my own children were so darling and beautiful and smart and fun and I figured I really didn't like other people's children that much at that point. However, I was wrong. I still like them! And there is planty of room in my heart for others. :0)
  • I had to do report cards for the first time in 12 years. That was something I forgot about!! Eeesh that's a lot of work.
  • I learned that having an hour in the morning with his dad can be the best thing in the world for Peirce. Allen has stayed home in the mornings to take Peirce to the bus and after Jill and I left they had about an hour together. They worked on cub badges, built marble runs, read together, and all sorts of fun stuff. I think it's been really great for BOTH of them!
  • I learned that my kids can make a meal here and there, and they enjoy it!
  • I learned that I'm definitely a morning person. If I got up early and got to school an extra hour early I would get 5X what I'd get done by staying late after school to get ready for the next day. After school I was way too worn out to be of much good for anything.
  • I've learned that I definitely need a full night's sleep. I don't like children that much when I'm tired. And when I'm well rested I can even laugh to myself at the most obnoxious children!
  • I've learned that what every child needs most is to know that you care about them. Without that nothing else happens. Truthfully, I knew that before, but it was a beautiful experience to put it into action and see again and again that that really is true.
  • I learned that I should have written things down all along the way....because I know there was much more!

All in all, I'm so glad I had this experience. It was a wonderful dip back into the world of teaching. Now I shall sub and if another position comes up I'll happily apply for it. I have a bunch of sub days booked already for December. And as a matter of fact, I have applied for a position for January. Here's hoping!! This time I will keep a page for lessons learned! I think I will also keep a page for funny things that happen. Classrooms can really be hilarious places!

2 comments:

The Lawlor's said...

I'm glad things went well for you!

Becky said...

Such important things to learn. :)I'm so glad it was great!