Friday 27 January 2012

Reading At Recess Lives On

I used to sit around and chat with other moms at the pool while my kids were swimming. I found myself getting sucked into a vortex of negativity and gossip so I decided to quit hanging out and talking. Today I didn't feel like going to try to find a quiet spot to read or mark or meditate or pray. Fridays the library closes at 5pm and so my usual hiding spot was out. So I decided to be brave and hang out at the pool. Only I just sat and read while the other mom's visited. At first I felt a little awkward. I felt pressure to just sit and visit....but I held strong and kept my nose buried in my book. It was so great! I like all those moms....don't get me wrong....I just find idle chatter really taxing sometimes.

The great news was that I read some stuff for school, did a real good skim through a new Kagan book I just got, and read half of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, the Grade 3 book club book for this month! Ah yes. Time well spent!

The irony was that the Kagan book I had was called Silly Sports and Goofy Games. The intro is all about how important play is.

Is it okay if I don't want to play with the other moms? Truth be told, as a kid, I loved reading at recess too.

Don't get me wrong, I do like to play....I just never have really enjoyed idle chat for too long as it seems to too often devolve into nasty negativity.....and sometimes I still have trouble figuring out how to get out of that bucket gracefully.

My nerdiness has really stuck with me through the ages.

No comments: