Wednesday 30 May 2007

Nice Neighborhood



My alarm clock is a radio alarm clock and so I wake up to the news at 6:30 am. (I should probably change that so that the first thing I hear in the morning isn't all the nasty things from the news!) This morning there was a story about a shooting in Beddington. Well, I sure was surprised when I took Chico outside and saw police tape and a cruiser at the end of our street blocking off the road!

Here's the picture of the window that they shot (shamelessly "borrowed" from the CFCN website):






Here's the story from:
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/calgary/story.html?id=122932e8-9374-4378-af89-4c0cf80ddb25&k=67593

Shots fired at Beddington home
Calgary Herald
Police are investigating after someone fired shots at a home in the city's northeast early today. No one was hurt, but a shotgun blast broke a window and penetrated walls at a home in the 100 block of Bedwood Crescent N.E. at about 2 a.m.


"Somebody came up to the house and fired a shotgun through a window and the walls," Staff Sgt. Bob Wiltshire said.
Investigators are still searching for suspects and are speaking with residents of the home to determine a possible motive.


Allen said it happened at 1:30 am. He was still up reading his book and he said he heard 3 shots...and he said to himself, "That was no car backfiring." One of the benefits of being as sound a sleeper as I am is that I never hear these kinds of things in the night. I was chatting with another neighbor after walking the kids to the bus and she said she didn't hear gun shots but she did wake up and heard the helicopter around our neighborhood.

I'm not very comforted by the idea that they don't know why they would be targeted. Somehow I'd rather know that it was some bad guy evening up a debt rather than a random shooting.

Our street has had news trucks and cameras and people around all morning. Not only that, the street sweeper trucks came and cleaned our streets today. We don't have this much excitement very often! Peirce says this has been even better than garbage day. He's a little concerned about who the bad guys are though. I don't tend to dwell on feelings of fear too often, but in this case, frankly, I wonder who the bad guys are too.

2 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

That's CRAZY!!! I can't believe that happened, and even more so, can't believe it was on your street!!! Wow!! Sure makes you feel safe in your own home hey? ugh!

Dawn said...

Every time we walk past that house (we walk by there to go to the playground) I still can't believe it happened here!