Thursday 31 May 2007

Visiting Teaching


I often laugh at the sappy pictures that people often use to represent visiting teaching. Honestly, it makes me a little nauscious.

I'm under no illusion that there are many sisters out there that fit the 'Norman Rockwell' type portrayal of visiting teaching. Maybe there are some - but most, I think, somehow in their harried lives find a way to fit it in and even though they sit and smile and have a lovely visit - I think most are like me, and afterwards they are back on the run and trying to catch up. Maybe I'm the only one...somehow I doubt it though.

I found a quote on Mormon Chick recently that said: Let visiting teaching be a joy in your life! Now be honest. As the end of the month draws near, do you feel pressured by your visiting teaching "obligation" and stress over how to fit it in? Give yourself a break - change your perspective.

Without continuing on to read the information on the page many would just laugh and walk away, clearly dismissing the idea that there is any hope of it being any different. I'm starting to realize it can be different though.

The article on the page goes on to say:

Admittedly, there are times when visiting teaching is hard. Perhaps you are very busy, or overburdened yourself, or depressed. Taking that half hour for a visit, or a phone call, or a short note will lift your spirits and renew your energy. Guaranteed. See it as an opportunity to be rejuvenated and blessed.

Perhaps you are rebuffed by a sister: she refuses to see you, is absent when you arrive, cancels your appointment. She still needs to feel cared for and valued. Think how great will be your joy when at last she accepts your overture. See it as a challenge, not an obstacle.



Recently I was called as the Visiting Teaching coordinator in my ward. I'm starting to realize that the author is right. It does get exciting and I feel rejuvenated when things start to happen! I suppose I have a unique vantage point being able to know first hand how it's going for each companionship. Perhaps one of my jobs needs to be to share what I see from my perspective in this calling. (I'll have to work on that)

Home and Visiting Teaching stats in our ward have been quite, umm, in a word, pathetic. We have hovered around the 30% mark since we became a ward almost 2 years ago. I have mystified by this ever since I became aware of the stats. Most people response, when I've asked why no one does home/visiting teaching, is that we have a bunch of busy young families. I always wanted to answer, "Ya...and????"

Well, this is my second month of gathering stats. Last month was slightly better than the average, but nothing to get excited about...I think around 40%. We made a number of changes last month to partnerships and sisters to visit, and I've made sure I touched base a few times with each partnership somehow this month. I've called people, emailed people, and talked to them at church. Imagine my surprise when one after another everyone keeps telling me that they did it!! Even the ones who didn't do it did make an effort...which is a totally different response than what I got last month when I called around for stats. I have about 7 partnerships still to hear from...and so far we're around 80%!!!

I think we should close down the ward and call it a day while we're doing so well! LOL

No comments: