Tuesday 20 January 2009

Dewey: The Smalltown Library Cat Who Touched The World by Vicki Myron




I was hesitant to read this book. It isn't that I don't like animals - I'm just not a huge fan and I really am not impressed with people's sentimentalism over pets. This book, however, slowly reeled me in. The author was magnificent at recognizing the beautiful ways that Dewey touched people's lives. Dewey is a cat that was found one winter morning after someone had put him in the return chute at the library (who knew people put other stuff in the return book chute!) The librarian warms him up and cares for him and he eventually takes up residence in the library. The author share stories about how Dewey Readmore Books (that's what the cat eventually is named) touches people's lives. It isn't in some amazing way - it's just the little things that all add up into something extraordinary. Along the way Dewey garners a lot of attention and becomes famous around the world. The interesting thing is it is a true story! Just two years ago Dewey died. After his death the author, Vicki, who is also the librarian, puts together the story of Dewey in book form.

You've got to read it. It's really touching! I still can't say I'm an animal lover - but I admire the author's ability to tell this cat's story!

No comments: