Sunday 13 February 2011

Romancing Rachmaninoff

Lately Jill and I have been trying to have Girl's Club once a week. On Saturday we got to go to the CPO. I won tickets on the radio while stuck in traffic one morning....which sure made that whole traffic jam much more of a pleasant memory!!

The Calgary Philharmonic did a night called Romancing Rachmaninoff. It was soooo great!

Prior to the performance they have a 'fireside chat' where they tell you about the composer, his music, and what was going on in his life when he wrote it. I loved it. I was even pleasantly surprised to see that I knew some of the music!

I loved loved loved the piano concerto. It made me want to go back to practising the piano!

You can listen to it on You Tube here.

Here's what we listened to:

  • Marche from Cinq Études-tableau
    Rachmaninoff
  • Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18
    Rachmaninoff
  • Symphony No. 2 in E Minor, Op. 27

No comments: