Wednesday 7 March 2012

I Love My Job

Lately Jill often looks at me in a perplexed way and says, "Do you get fulfillment from your job?" or "Do you really like doing that?" It's usually after I've spent an entire evening marking, or I talk about some crazy thing that happened with a kid that day.

Truth is, I do! I really love teaching. A few weeks ago at a PD Day on of my co-workers, in a PD moment in time lull, asked each person at our table how they ended up becoming teachers. The stories were all varied and quite interesting. She asked if we could, if we would have changed the journey that brought us to teaching (many of the stories involved situations where they had no intention initially to get into the world of teaching), and they all agreed they wouldn't change a single thing. She also asked if we were all still happy to be teachers - and the marvelous thing was, everyone quickly nodded and said they wouldn't change it for the world.

Where does that happen?! Teachers can be a negative, sourly lot, especially after all the years that some of my co-workers have been teaching. It's so wonderful to see that they still love it.

I do too! .....although I don't have all the years everyone else does.

Today after school I went to chat with my principal and vice principal (or she is she an assistance principal?? I don't know). Anyway, I had a couple situations I wanted to get some feedback from them on. One is an odd situation involving parents, the other is a child who is really really struggling. We chatted for about an hour and I walked away, not with answers on how to fix it all - but inspired and buoyed up, for sure! I'm continually amazed at our admin's knowledge and experience and how much they really do care. I learn something every time we have those kinds of conversations - which is quite amazing really. I walk away with new ideas on how I could do things, and I feel better about how I'm doing as a teacher.

Yup. I do love what I do. I wouldn't change it for the world.

No comments: