Thursday 29 March 2012

Conquering Mount Laundromas

Ever since I went back to working full time there have been a few things that are a big challenge. One of them is laundry.

I just can't seem to keep up with it! I started off  2012 by committing to doing a load of laundry a day. I was talking about this at school one day and one of my dear married-with-no-children friends said, "A load a day? How is that even possible?!"

Truth be told, a load a day doesn't quite cut it - but it seems to keep us all in clean underwear at least.

I did alright for the first two months. Then something happened (report cards? swim meets? who knows...some asundry activity that sucks all the free time I have out of my life) and I started to falter. Eventually I decided it was time to go back to the drawing board.

The conclusion: a load a day is still a necessity - but it doesn't mean I have to do it! Today Peirce did all his own laundry - even without being prompted (well, actually, the lack of underwear might have prompted him...but I didn't ask).

After all was said and done he proudly asked me to come to his room and see his organized drawers.
Wow! I was truly amazed.

He never cared about neat drawers before. (Insert: Things that make you go hmmmm.....)

I posted on Facebook that today was a great day because Peirce was doing his own laundry. An entertaining discussion ensued, and then a dear friend posted, "Why don't you gals like doing laundry? Just wondering."

Like laundry?
I don't think "like" even crossed my mind.

It's not that I like it or don't like it.
But I do hate drowning in it.
And I decided I don't have to be the keeper of the laundry either!

We went through a phase where some unnamed darlings in the house would rather put stuff in the laundry basket than put it away. After warnings, threats, and utter frustration, I finally quit. Retired. Stomped out. Raised a flag. No more gathering, washing, drying, folding, putting away, only to do it all over again with clothes that are negotiably dirty. Nope. They can do their own!

One friend told me her kids have to have all their laundry done before they have any fun on Saturday. And her six year old does his own laundry!

I'm all for it.

Yup. It's going to change my life.
(I hope!)

Besides, the rebel feminist part of me says, "Do your own damn laundry! I'm not your slave!"

No comments: