Sunday 18 October 2015

Peirce's Talk: How serving others has blessed my life

Good morning brothers and sisters. I have been asked if I would be able to speak on how serving others has blessed my life as a deacon.

In Doctrine and Covenants 107:99 it says: Wherefore, now let every man learn his duty, and to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence.

In the Duty to God book it teaches how deacons are to serve. It says that deacons are meant to assist the bishop in administering temporal things, this includes collecting fast offerings, caring for the poor and needy, caring for the meeting-house and grounds, serving as a messenger for the bishop in church meetings and fulfilling other assignments from the quorum president.

When we serve in the priesthood we take the responsibility to represent Jesus Christ. Whenever I pass the sacrament, it helps me feel the spirit and I feel closer to God. This is important to me because I can strengthen my testimony and bring the spirit into my life.

Having the spirit guide me is very important because it helps me in my day to day life. The spirit guides me especially with de-stressing my life and getting done what needs to be done first. When my friends, my school, classes, volleyball, swimming, homework, church and studying the scriptures I need to take the time to prioritize and schedule when and where I will complete these things. I like to do my homework after swim practice when I am waiting for my parents to drive me home and at swim meets in-between my races. I make sure to set time for reading my scriptures, although sometimes I don't get ready early enough so u am tired for school. Whoops.

I really like the scripture Alma 37:37 which reads: Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good.

I really love that every Sunday in Deacon's quorum we ask each other how we are doing with our temple work, our Duty to God, scripture study and daily prayer. I think that it is a great reminder and u love talking with the other deacons about how they are doing and if I can help them complete any projects.

I would like to bear my testimony that I know that the church and the gospel is true, that God listens to our prayers and get we are blessed for our service. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: