Tuesday 3 May 2016

Day 124 Reading


This year I resolved that we would read a picture book every day in our classroom. It has been such a great experience. I am amazed at the wonderful discussions we have had about personal experiences that relate to the stories, at the vocabulary we have learned, at the connections we have made between texts, and how the children have taken these stories and read them to others. Today we read Monsters. When I pre-read it it seemed to me it might be a little young for my class. Not so though. They loved it. After we read it, they wanted to write their own monster stories.  We will start n them tomorrow! The interesting thing to me is that if I had suggested we write monster stories, there would have been groaning and, "Do we have to?!" ....instead an idea gets in their heads from a story we read, and we are off and running on a week long writing project! There isn't anyone who hasn't bought in. I love it!!

No comments: