Wednesday 21 February 2007

Sugar


Being on the diet I've been on for the past few months has been really interesting. I think I've learned more about myself and food than any other time in my life...and I've had more success!

I've really learned what a difference sugar (or perhaps better said, no sugar!) makes! This diet is all based on keeping you in ketosis. Each time you visit the clinic, the nurse checks your urine for ketones. Generally, the higher the concentration of ketones, the better (since it means you're burning more fat). I have found being in ketosis quite amazing - I just don't feel hungry! I'm happy with salads and tuna and egg whites and other things that seem quite unsatisfying most days. However, when I'm in ketosis I like that stuff!

I've learned that sugar knocks me out of ketosis faster than anything. So do carbs. Things I cannot eat if I want to stay in ketosis are things like popcorn, potatoes, rice, and of course, sugary snacks...all the things I love!! I also have to limit breads. Two servings a day of bread is about it! (Oh the pain!)

However, I'm finding it's quite worth it. If I can stay in ketosis I lose weight quite quickly. This month I've been in and out of ketosis thanks to birthday parties, weekends away, Valentine's Day and our Anniversary. But that is all finished now...and I'm on to great ketosis moments. I have found that the benefits I experience while in ketosis as I try to lose weight are that my weight loss is quicker, I am not hungry and don't have cravings the same, I'm in a better mood, and I have much more energy. The doctor says that as long as protein intake is adequate you do not lose lean muscle mass losing weight when you stay in ketosis.

I've decided that this might be a life-long pursuit - that is, the avoidance of sugar. I've just got some good books out from the library on this topic. I'm hoping to bring my family along on this sugar-free journey. So far they're not that interested.

But that's okay, it's all good! I feel like I'm ready to get on a good weight loss roll again! Here's to losing!

No comments: