Wednesday 31 January 2007

Thoughts as a new month begins....

Friday will be 2 weeks on the diet. This past weekend wasn't good as far as dieting goes. I indulged in snacks at the surprise birthday party - and on Sunday had some sushi (rice is not allowed). It seems like it's really easy to fall off the wagon - and difficult to get back on! Today I'm feeling really good about things though and have had a strict day so far!

Today is the end of the month and so with the start of a new month I took a few minutes this morning at the gym to write about how January went and make some goals for February. I lost 7 pounds in January and did a pretty good job at exercising every day. I set a goal to exercise every day in 2007 and I've already wrecked that. I missed 3 days in January - all weekend days. I think the key is going to have to be that on weekends I will get up early and exercise first thing. It's hard to fit in gym time on Saturdays - and so if I do I'll just consider that a bonus - but I can still get up early and exercise. I've had a couple conversations with Misook lately, one of the instructors at the gym. She has noticed that I seem to be getting stronger - and it's true. I really am. I didn't go to a class yesterday or today and instead did cardio and then used some machines. I used to do the fly with 40 pounds as the max. I can do 70 pounds now!! It's tough - but I can do it. I've also increased what I can do with leg extensions. 30 pounds used to max me out and now 40 or 50 isn't a problem! Wow! It's very exciting for me.

I wondered this morning if I could go through the entire month of February without cheating on the diet even once. I will put a box around each 'no cheat' day in February on the calendar where I keep track of what I eat. I should try and think of a good reward for a certain number of 'no cheat' days - but the truth is the weight loss will be enough of a reward!! I know that if I'm really strict I can lose weight quite quickly. Funny how I don't do that often enough though.

My mom has been here this week. She's dieting too - but differently than me. She's taking some kind of pill that suppresses your appetite and just watching what she eats. Every day she has popcorn. I had some on Sunday and Monday but yesterday decided I would not have anymore. My dad is doing the same diet - and she says he has 3 or 4 donuts every week. I hate how men can lose weight more easily. It just doesn't seem fair.

Anyway, enough of the not fair. I'm very excited to see some great progress in February. I would like to lose 20 pounds this month. This Friday is my mini-goal day. I'm 3 pounds away from being on the low-end of the mini-goal. I'm going to do my darndest to lose those 3 pounds by Friday.

Wish me luck!

No comments: