Sunday 28 January 2007

Surprise!!

Soon I am going to hit the big 4-0. Yesterday my dear husband pulled a little party together to celebrate that. It was a total surprise. My parents were coming to town Saturday and
so that morning I cleaned up the house. In the afternoon I took
my kids to a play (it was great!! A twisted version of the 3 little
bears...hilarious!) Anyway, when I got home Allen had done more
cleaning. He mopped and put stuff away and the house was absolutely
immaculate. My thought was, "well, I'm not going to criticize you for
doing it - but we really don't need to go to such great lengths when
my parents come to visit honey." LOL

When my parents arrived dad said that he wanted to take me out to
buy me a birthday present...just him and I. Weird. But I was happy to
go. However, it turned into the longest meandering trip to a store
you ever saw. We went to one part of town and couldn't find a Linens
and Things. He was insistent that we go to Linens and Things (he
wanted to buy me a tablecloth). It was all kind of weird. Finally we
stopped and got a phone book and found there was one on the other
side of town. So he says, "Well, let's go there!" I was thinking what
the heck are you talking about?? We could go to the Wal-Mart close to
my house, or any other similar home-type store as there were plenty
others to choose from...but whatever! So off we go to the other side
of town. Pick out a table cloth - and then head back home. Only he
has to drive by their old house, and drive by the place Allen
and I lived in when we first got married, and drive by his favorite
old chicken-restaurant - and a bunch of other weird things like that.

Finally we get home and when we got in the house the house was PACKED with people. They yelled surprise - and it took me a minute to clue in that we were having a
party! It was pretty funny.

I went around the room and said hello to everyone and thanked them
for the surprise. The funny thing that is by that time my thought
was, "Rats! I really was looking forward to going to bed early
tonight because I'm in the middle of a really good book!" Needless to
say I didn't get to my book....but we had a great party. It was a fun
night. I've never had a surprise birthday party before! I truly
didn't suspect a thing. After the fact I did put a few things
together and realized maybe I could have figured it out - but I
really didn't suspect anything. My birthday actually isn't until next
Sunday. I'm going to be the big 4-0! I don't feel like I always
thought I should feel at 40 though. :0) Maybe my kids keep me
younger. :0) (That's my theory - and I'm sticking with it) LOL

No comments: