Saturday 26 June 2010

Back to School

I've had this post sitting for a while. I didn't want to spill the beans too soon.




I've been doing some subbing. The more I do it the more I realize how much I love and miss teaching. Last Monday I had a fantastic day of subbing. That night I got home and got on the computer and as I sit there working I was saying a little prayer about what I should do with my career. I really feel like teaching is right thing for me to do. The only thing is I really want to try to get a job at one campus in particular because it is across the street from my Peirce's school. It would be so convenient! There have been a lot of postings at the other campuses and I haven't applied for any because I figure I should hold out and try to see if I can't get something where it would be best for my family. That being said, when I'm at this one school I honestly feel the spirit there. It's kind of weird really.





Well, Monday night, I got a call from the principal of the school where I always feel so good when I'm there. It's not that I don't feel good at the other ones - but at this one I often can really feel my heart burning like I'm feeling the spirit. The principal asked if I knew who she was. I did. And then she asked if I'd be interested in covering a maternity leave in the fall for 2.5 months. I couldn't believe it. I'm sitting here saying, "Heavenly Father, should I really keep doing this job from home?" and the phone rings. I've never had a principal ASK me if I'd like a position. LOL Either she's desperate, or all the praise she was laying on me might have a smidgen of truth (apparently I come highly recommended by the vice principal at the school where I think I REALLY want to teach! LOL). Or else it's a terrible position that no one wants and they're scraping the barrel and calling me!




Either way.....gee I had butterflies! I told her I'm interested and I'd be happy to come in to talk to her. We set up an appointment for the next day.




The class is a Grade 4 class with 23 kids - a bit of a dream - only it is 17 boys and 6 girls! She was frank and said that my classroom management skills would have to be really good.




*deep breath*




In other words, it's a challenge. But I figure it never hurts to talk!




So I went for the interview. Before I went I prayed that I'd feel calm and be able to answer any dumb questions they ask. I hate all those typical interview questions. And sure enough - they had them! Only thing was when I arrived she gave me a sheet and said, "Here's what we normally ask. Do you want to take a minute to think about some of these questions?" It was so helpful! There were still some on there that I didn't really have a good answer for (like tell me about your most rewarding educational or teaching experience, or tell me about a difficult circumtsance you handled) and funny enough, she skipped those questions! (Maybe she thinks they're dumb questions too. I don't know)




When I walked into her office she had a Greg Olson picture on her wall of the Savior with a little boy. Turns out she once lived in Idaho (made me wonder if she really is a member, but just not active or something)




Anyway, the interview went really well. We talked for about an hour and it was very casual and comfortable.




At the end of it all she said, "Well, do you feel like you could accept the position today?" I was surprised because all through she'd referred to, in general, the people they were considering for the position. I told her I really probably should talk it over with my husband, and think about it for a couple hours - but assured her I was quite interested.




When I left I could feel the spirit so strongly I felt like crying. I guess I better do it! I figure it'll be a great experience, and good training. It's only 2.5 months - and I figure I can do anything for 2.5 months. And if I go back to subbing I'll be an even better sub, I'm sure.




She said she'd call me the next day...


Then! The next day I have my regular Conference call with my job. We find out on that call that the main project I've been working on has been cut in half. Well, not really cut in half, the client wants it done over two months instead of one month - it's still continuing, but in July we'll do half the work and in August we'll do the other half. Which means my income is cut in half. Which would have really been a shock and a worry. They said today they just found out about it on Monday.


They didn't know. I didn't know - but God knew. It was Monday that the principal called me to see if I'd be interested in a short term teaching contract. Coincidence? I'll choose to believe it wasn't. I'm still in shock though. ....but so grateful!!



Here goes!! Looks like I'm teaching! My other job will just limp along and I should be able to lug it along until the short term teaching contract is finished.


Isn't it amazing how God micromanages our lives!


....so grateful.

1 comment:

Kim Hawryluk said...

that's wonderful news! congrats and good luck!