Thursday 19 July 2012

Geronimo Stilton

I decided this summer I should read a book from all the popular series that kids like to read - so when I finished one book while we were driving, and couldn't get my next book from my suitcase, I grabbed one of Peirce's Geronimo Stilton books. I read Run for the Hills, Geronimo, however one I read doesn't really matter. I'm sure they're all pretty much the same....at least the parts I noticed about it are likely common in all of them. I plan to try Hardy Boys, Goosebumps, the fairy books, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and Dolphin series.....what else....???

I'd definitely rate these below Magic Tree House. The colored words and illustrations are cool. I'm sure that is one thing that really helps younger kids stick with these books. In the book I read I learned some interesting things about some American Historic sites. That was cool.


The book took me less than 30 minutes to read. Jill mentioned that she used to read one book on the bus ride home from school each day. The interesting thing to me, was that it was written like the kids in my Gr. 3 kids write stories. There are interjections now and then with, "Oh, I forgot to mention that....." and then the story, told in simple first person, continues on. Do kids write like that because they read these books? Or did they write these books like this because kids write like that?? Chicken and egg questions. Not sure. I tried to do some Geronimo Stilton research but I cannot find even who writes the books - which makes me think they're mass produced by some company and have multiple writers.  In this book Geronimo goes on a vacation full of surprises. The plot is pretty poorly developed and the author really missed opportunities to build suspense. Stuff just happens....and it kind of felt like someone was belching out the story.

Yup. One Geronimo Stilton is enough for me.

6/58

1 comment:

AlishaHB said...

Brinleigh isn't a fan of them either and she's going into second grade. She prefers the new Nancy Drew books. I haven't read them yet so I can't compare but she flys through them. Maybe I should check where they are on the Scholastic website haha.