Saturday 14 July 2012

How To Hug a Porcupine (by Julie Ross)

This is a great book. Every time I read a great parenting book I think I should make a list of books that could be read and read again to help me with the little reminders I need to be a better parent. This one would be on that list!

Amazon.com's summary says:

Yesterday, your child was a sweet, well-adjusted eight-year-old. Today, a moody, disrespectful twelve-year-old. What happened? And more important, how do you handle it? How you respond to these whirlwind changes will not only affect your child's behavior now but will determine how he or she turns out later. Julie A. Ross, executive director of Parenting Horizons, shows you exactly what's going on with your child and provides all the tools you need to correctly handle even the prickliest tween porcupine.

This books has lots of great topics - dealing with disorganized kids, defiant kids, computer addictions, sex, need for independence, learning to be more responsible, solving problems with siblings and others, and more.

As I read my heart was really touched. I loved the author's way of encouraging respect and independence as kids enter this age. It also made me sad for people I know who didn't get what they needed at this age. I am starting to believe the tweens and early teens are a real foundation time and that if you can get through those ages with a good relationship in tact, then you can be more assured that it will continue.

 
 
4/58

No comments: