Wednesday 13 February 2013

Obsessions

Jill often talks about how non-swimmers just don't get it.  I think non-swimmer parents don't get it either.

When I talk about swimming and how it fills out life they nod in agreement and talk about their kids activities: horse back riding or basketball or something similar.

I am not sure anything compares to swimming. What sport goes on for 10 months of the year (well, truthfully 10 1/2 if you go to long course provincials)? What other sport works out six days a week? In addition to the six days a week workouts once a month we go to a meet - which is a strange phenomenon all in itself. I won't even get into that. My cousin has a son who swam for a year and she often jokes about how you get up at 5:30 am to get to a meet to watch your kid's swim at 9:30 and then wait another hour, then wait another hour, etc. It's crazy. What sport can compare?

I don't know of any.

It costs a lot.
It takes a lot of time.
But my kids love it.

What's a parent to do except just keep trucking along?

Yup. It's a bit of an obsession. It's not really my obsession though.

That's the weird thing.

No comments: