Monday 30 June 2008

Jean Paré: An Appetite for Life by Judy Schultz


I stayed home with the kids today instead of going to church so we didn't infect everyone else there. It's amazing how much you can do in a day when you don't go to church or do the normal work-day things that fill one's life! It's been a great day.



One thing I did today was read the story of Jean Paré- the author of the Company's Coming Cookbooks. I didn't think the book itself was that well written. It had strange blocks of quotes in places that I couldn't quite figure out why they had been placed there. I think I finally figured out that they were explanations on pictures....only the pictures weren't there they were in one section all together later in the book. Odd. However, her story is quite inspiring. The tell the story of her roots in smalltown Alberta, of her heartbreak in her first marriage with an alcoholic husband, and how hard work, pure grit, and chance brought her to the point of publishing her recipes and selling over 17 million books.

Imagine.....I wonder how much she made a book. What if she only made $1. Or 50 cents per book. Probably a little more though. Imagine going from living in a tent after your alcoholic husband has abandoned you and your four children to making millions. Now that's a great story!
The most inspiring part of it all to me is how she has always remained simple and kind and hard working. I'd sure love to meet her. In the meantime, I think I'll go make some squares or muffins or something.

No comments: