Monday 18 August 2008

Happy Birthday Jill!


Today our Jill is 10 years old! Hard to believe that 10 years ago I became a mother! I'll never forget it! Allen had just come home from a trip to Arizona on Sunday. Monday morning my water broke but it was only a slow leak and I wasn't really sure that was what it even was....so I went to the office with Allen. I called the doctor and that afternoon we went to see her and she confirmed that sure enough our baby was on the way! We were living in my parent's house because we had 3 months between when we had to be out of our house we were renting before we could move into our new house we had bought. I hadn't felt very motivated to buy much for a baby because I was trying to limit the stuff we were hauling from one house to the next. So we decided we'd better go shopping! I'll never forget standing in Wal-Mart in the baby aisles wondering what a baby needs. We bought some baby powder and some different oils (still don't know what those are for!) and a few other things and then headed home. We walked and waited and wondered when we should go to the hospital. Allen was totally exhausted from his trip so he went to bed. I kept feeling contractions and so I couldn't really sleep and so I stayed up and timed and waited. Finally at about 11:30 pm I figured it was time to go to the hospital. By 8:30 the next morning we met our new little GIRL!!

We didn't find out from the ultrasound if we were having a girl or a boy - so we waited with great anticipation. The funny thing was we only had boy's names picked out....none for a girl - so we really had to scramble when she was born!

I remember when the nurse told me it was a girl. I was so thrilled! They took her and weighed and measured her and I remember the feeling I had of SOOO looking forward to getting to know her. I wanted to hold you and say, "Hello little girl! I'm Mommy! Nice to finally meet you!"
When you were a baby I'd hold you for hours! I'd hold you when you were awake because you were just happier that way - and then you'd fall asleep and I'd hold you because you were just so cute. I was SO thrilled to be a mom!
And the more time has gone on the more that feeling has grown. I've loved getting to know Jill. She has grown into a really nice girl. She is responsible and kind and smart and fun and most of all, she has a strong testimony and loves the gospel. People often tell me how impressed they are with her. I just smile and thank them - but inside I want to yell, "You don't know the least of it!"


I had always promised myself I'd name my first girl Jill - but strangely, I had forgotten. Allen was the one who suggested the name Jill when we were in the hospital and I instantly agreed. It was the perfect name for our girl!


....now if we could just get you to eat without getting it all over your face....


We Love You Jill!!!

No comments: