Thursday 27 January 2011

The Girl From Turtle Mountain


I read this book because Deborah Ellis wrote it. I was disappointed.

The book summary says:


After her mother's death, nine-year-old Keeley and her father need a new start. The frontier town of Frank, Alberta, seems like a good place: in 1901 there are lots of jobs as well as plenty of room for Keeley to breathe, play, and explore. On a dare from a schoolmate, Keeley decides to investigate one of the few laces off limits to children in freewheeling Frank—the coal mine where her father works. But what starts as a game soon becomes a life-threatening adventure...


I was hoping it would talk about the disaster at Frank when Turtle Mountain fell down....but it didn't. There's a little rock slide in a mine....but that's it. I've driven through Frank a ton of times and am fascinated by the idea that there used to be a town there. I guess I'll have to look for great stories about Frank somewhere else.


It's the only book I've read by Deborah Ellis that I've been disappointed with. I wonder why her other books are so gripping, and this one is so.....not gripping. Kids who are into this series would enjoy it, but it doesn't have a lot of oomph.

No comments: