Monday 8 April 2013

I'm a Happy Swim Mom

It hasn't been an easy year for Peirce. I think it all boils down to the fact that we all go through ups and downs. Sometimes kids are right on top of things, and sometimes they spend time trying to figure out what they can get away with. Peirce is no different. Both school and swimming has had its ups and downs this year. I was so happy when I received this email from one of the swim coaches:

 
 
 
Hello Dawn!

I should have sent this yesterday but the day got away on me.

I just wanted to let you know that Pierce was so great on Wednesday night - very attentive, listened well and I saw huge improvements in all his turns. He was focused and really applied himself.

Please let him know that I was very impressed with how well he did and want him to think of how far along he could be in his swimming career if he applied that kind of focus to every practice. He has a lot of natural talent, uses the water really well and is very strong. He has everything physically it takes to be great in this sport. I saw it Wednesday, so I know it is in him and my expectations for him have been greatly increased ;)

Thanks again for your part in making him more engaged because he did just a fantastic job.
 
 
 
 
 
I was so proud of him. It really made me think about how important it is for me to share good news with kids I rub shoulders with. This email buoyed me up and made me feel so proud of Peirce. He's had his hard times, but he's working through them and doing a great job.
 
I'm so grateful my kids have swimming. I sometimes complain about swimming. It takes a lot of time and money and energy from my life. I haven't always had positive experiences volunteering and being a parent in the club, which has made it hard. However, my kids love it and their lives are improved because of it. They work hard. They have goals. They have positive role models. They have great kids to rub shoulders with. They are pushed physically. And they enjoy it! Whenever we have had an issue and have gone to the coaches for help, they have always addressed it in a way that has solved the problem and helped everyone improve as a result. It's always been a positive experience. I'm so grateful for that.
 
Friday night our kids both were in bed at 9:00. They go to bed early because we have early mornings. Even on Saturday Jill has swim practice (next year Peirce might be joining those ranks). I don't even really have to nag them to get to bed. Jill wants to do well at practice, so she goes to bed. Peirce follows suit. It's really a great blessing in our lives.
 
Put your kids in swimming. You won't regret it!
 

No comments: