Sunday 10 December 2006

The Value of Money versus the Value of a Generous Soul

Yesterday I took Jill and Peirce to the zoo. At our zoo you walk through a long echoey tunney to get to the entrance. It is a great place for buskers to perform as the acoustics really carry the sound. We always look forward to see who is performing. This particular day Jill had brought some money in the hopes that I would let her buy something at the gift shop. We didn't have time to even stop by the gift shop on our way out. However, there was someone playing in the tunnel. She quickly went up and put $5 of her $15 into his open guitar case. She had a big grin on her face and was so pleased with herself!

When I saw what she did I laid into her.

"Did you see any other bills in that case??!! You know why?? It's too much! You don't put $5 in there...you put a loonie!"

Big tears welled up in her eyes and she told me she would be too embarrased to go take it out and put a loonie in. I agreed with her...and suddenly felt terrible about my rant. I told her that actually, she could forget the scolding and that I was proud of her for being generous and I gave her a big hug. Now I had tears in my eyes.

As I thought about the whole thing I felt a little embarrased that in my mind $5 was too much to give. We're not rich - but we certainly have some dollars to spare. I don't think Jill quite understands the value of money - but she does understand generosity.

As I reflected on this incident later I thought about how I hope, especially this time of year, that I can think more like Jill and be willing to share so freely.

No comments: