Sunday 31 December 2006

As One Year Ends...

Happy New Year to you!

We were planning to go to Lethbridge and go to a party the city puts on there for kids. However, when we woke up Sunday morning I felt terrible and Jill felt worse. We stayed home from church...which wasn't great since I was supposed to teach RS...but what there wasn't much I could do. We decided we should skip the party tonight too. We thought we'd go visit tomorrow since Gaylene was there with her kids - but this afternoon we got a phone call from Allen's dad saying that his mother passed away. She was 92 and she had been in the hospital for a number of years. It's a blessing that she can go because for the past number of years she has not known anyone who comes to visit and has been quite incapacitated. However, it's still sad.

The funeral may be at the end of this week so we put off our plans to go visit since we'll have to make a trip there for the funeral. They are trying to see if they can have it the next weekend instead as one aunt just had a surgery and Allen's sister just had a baby - so they're not in the best form for travel. We should find out later today when the funeral will be. For the past several years Grandma has been having strokes. They seem to knock her out for a few days and we receive messages from family telling us that Grandma probably won't last too much longer. Then she tends to sit up and ask for toast, or something, like nothing happened. A week ago, she had a major stroke. She hadn't had any food or water in seven days. Saturday Allen's dad was sitting with her and she tried to clear her throat and simply stopped breathing.

We will miss her. I never really knew her that well. She had fallen down some stairs and bumped her head just before Allen and I got engaged - and has had progressively worse memory and brain function since then. Everytime I'd see her she'd pat my hand and ask my name. I'd tell her who I was and who I was married to and she'd say, "My, aren't you a pretty girl." From what I understand she was just one of those darn nice people that you couldn't help like.

No comments: