Friday 4 July 2008

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (Dahl)

Tonight Peirce and I finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He's seen the movie a number of times but that didn't seem to bother him. He really enjoyed reading it together. He will often ask during the day if we can read for 15 minutes (every 15 minutes he gets to color in a scale on the reading adventure from the Calgary Public Library). It's been so great!! We have some great discussions about things that happen in the story and the behavior of the terrible children. It's been everything a reading-loving Mother has waited for when it comes to reading with her little boy.

I found an interesting article about Roald Dahl. I had heard that he was really unhappy with the screen version of this book and wanted to find out why. I haven't found that info yet - but I did find out there is someone that has written an interesting book that I'd like to read! It's called Wonkamania. There was one bit in the article that really piqued my interest:

Augustus, Veruca, Mike Teavee, and all of the other people trying to win the Golden Ticket are trying to fill themselves up with something, but none of them acts very happy or fulfilled. They only want more. and more. and more. From a Biblical perspective, that is certainly a dilemma we see in our society today--trying to fill a spiritual hunger with more material things, or with status or success--and still feeling empty.
....the first four Golden Ticket winners are actually symbolic of four of the proverbial seven deadly sins--gluttony, envy, pride, sloth. This comes through even stronger in Tim Burton's adaptation of Charlie, in my opinion. He plays that up quite a bit
.


I've really got to find that book! In the meantime though, on to the Great Glass Elevator!!

1 comment:

Lara said...

Wow--I never thought of the parallel with the deadly sins but it totally makes sense. I just realized you unsubbed from LDSMoms and I miss you!