Monday 21 July 2008

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Roald Dahl)

There are a lot of kid's books I enjoy. And some I just endure. This was one I endured. It was just a little too crazy for me. I remember starting to read it years ago and then not finishing because it just seemed so over the top with silliness. However, silliness is right up Peirce's alley!! He even asked if he could be a Vermicious Knid (pronounced with the K intact...like k-nid) for Halloween. Now that would be a feat to come up with that costume!! (I think I'll try to talk him into something different)

I don't even know where to start with summing up this book. There's a Space Hotel USA, they interact with the President and some astronauts that are more like the 3 stooges than anything else. Then there's the attacking Vermicious Knids and an amazing battle. Oh, then the grandparents eat some anti-aging wonka-vite candy and end up as babies and in minusland (where you go if you get too young)...and then they have to eat vita-wonk to get back to the age they were. It all ends up with the President of the United States giving them a big award for their bravery fighting off the Vermicious Knids at the beginning of the story.

I think it's quite a disjointed story. It's like eating scrambled story...all sorts of crazy things put into one. It also had a lot of references to US politics that Peirce didn't quite appreciate. He doesn't know of The White House or the reverence Americans give the space program. He learned a bit about Americans by reading this book! And going into elevators has been much more interesting lately. We have great conversations about where the elevator could possibly take us. :0)

Peirce was hoping for another sequel to the Charlie books....but that's it. That's all he wrote when it comes to Charlie (thank goodness!) I don't know what was in Roald Dahl's head and heart when he wrote this book...but it's a good thing he had previously written some good books. He would have never rose to stardom on this one if you ask me.

No comments: