Friday 11 January 2013

Independent Kids

One thing I tend to notice is parents who do too much for their kids. I have always encouraged our kids to be as independent as possible. I make them talk to the  clerk when they have a question in the store. I make them call their friends when they want to set up a play date. I leave looking after their room to them. Sometimes, though, the independence we have worked so hard for is hard on my nerves!

Jill made the basketball team and today she had a basketball tournament. She had games at 2 pm and 4 pm. Allen was going to go watch her 2:00 game and then give her a ride to the pool. She figured she should go to practice. Mid-stream though, she decided a game might be more important than a practice. When Allen got there and got this news he left without making any plans for how she'd get home. I wasn't too worried because I figured she'd take the bus or get a ride with someone. However, 5:00 rolled around, then 6:00 and still no Jill. Finally at 7:00 I was getting worried. I really had no idea where she was and she has lost her cell phone so I had no way to get in touch with her. Finally I decided to go to the school. Maybe she had decided to stay and watch other kid's games. I don't know. When I got there, after searching for the second gym in the school, I finally found her. They were in the middle of another game. I got to see the last few minutes of the game. That was nice - but still, my stomach was all in knots over wondering where she was. Afterwards she was totally non-chalant about everything. I got a casual, "Oh hi mom!"

I asked her later what her plan would have been if I hadn't shown up. She shrugged and said she probably would have taken the bus.

*sigh* I guess independence is a good thing....as long as the mother can handle it! :)

No comments: