Thursday 20 March 2008

I Love Flylady


I've always been pretty good at keeping my house clean. Once I started staying home though and added kids to the mix it added a whole new element to that desire. It's sometimes darn hard!

I've become a fan of Fly-Lady. I tend to be someone that has to tell everyone else about now wonderful finds in my life. I have been surprised at the number of people who respond with a, 'ya...I tried that, but....'

Some people don't like the emails. For me I don't get bogged down in that. Frankly, I don't even read them....and it isn't that hard to press delete. But I do like the reminder of things I should do each day. I've taken her approach and adapted it to my house (I cannot just vacuum once a week....things start to look really nasty around here if I wait that long!) but I basically follow her approach, and it brings me peace. Today I had a really busy morning. I was up and out of the house by 7:30 to drive Allen to get a rental car because neither he nor I could be without a vehicle today while his was in the shop, then hurried home for a conference call, then hurried to the school for 'Student-Led Conferences' and then hurried home for my visiting teachers. As I was driving home I suddenly realized I hadn't even really looked at the living room this morning and have no idea how presentable it is. Sure enough when I pulled up to the house they had already arrived - so there was no time for a quick cleaning....but it was okay!! Not perfect, but okay.

Some think I'm a little over the top - but every day I do a quick swish and swipe in the bathroom (who cleans their bathroom every day? Well, I do!), do a load of laundry, and a few other things that if I don't do it every day just pile up and become overwhelming. Fly Lady taught me that (well, my mother and grandmother were a pretty good example of that too) and I'm so grateful for it! I'm having a bunch of women over tonight and I don't have time to do much cleaning before they come...and it'll be okay. I can't say I'm perfect at doing all the housework stuff I need to every day - but I'm regular enough that it doesn't cause me too much stress when people come over.

I love that.

No comments: