Monday 16 November 2009

The Witches by Roald Dahl


Peirce and I are reading Witches, again.

I'm quite amazed at time with Roald Dahl. He's famous. People loves his books. Movies are made out of his books! (the ultimate money-making author situation)...but sometimes I find his books just so odd.

Witches is the perfect example:
  • It's scary - but kids seem to love it. At least Peirce seems to go at it similar to how people pass a car accident and rubber-neck. He seems to love to dabble in these seemingly scary stories

  • It's bizarre - a cigar smoking grandma? Come on! Kids should never bath more than once a month? Eeesh.

  • There are chapters that just seem thrown in there and don't need to be there at all...like the chapter called The Heart of a Mouse. It has nothing really significant to do with the story. Why is it there?

I don't know how he gets away with it. Somehow it works though. I think this was the third time we've read this book together. I tried to get Peirce to do more reading out loud to me - but he really balked that. He loves to just sit and listen to the store. He soaks it all in...and then he's scared and has to come get in our bed in the night. But when I threaten to stop reading it because my bed is crowded....he cries and begs me to continue.


What is up with that??!

No comments: