Monday 13 April 2020

Here We Go!

Today was our first day of real school in a our new reality. I don't even know what to call it. Home schooling? Not really. Distance learning? Well, sort of. Teaching online? Not exactly. My assistant principal described it quite well - it's like trying to build an airplane while you're already flying it - only you don't have a pilot's license and you aren't a mechanic. Today was one long and hard day full of mostly problem-solving. It was exhausting like the start of a school year - only different. I haven't experienced anything like this. One thing is sure, I'm glad I have had the experience of working from home. I learned a lot of things in those 12 years. One thing that really helps is being comfortable with learning things on my own. I have learned that computers can do pretty much whatever you can think of them to do - you just have to explore and figure out how to get them to do that.

No pictures today. It's been a long and hard and very focused day.

One new thing is that Jill started a new job. She has a long term goal of becoming an occupational therapist. A friend of hers works in a senior's home that uses a lot of occupational therapy and told Jill they had an opening there. It is in housekeeping - but it is full time and it gives Jill a chance to meet occupational therapists. She said when she went there she had a really good feeling, like she was where she is supposed to be. I hope she is right. There are a lot of stories in the news of senior's homes not being safe places so I made sure she asked what they're doing to keep everyone safe. It does sound like they're doing what they need to do.

No comments: