Thursday 18 July 2013

Feedback

This morning I was reading the blog of the Great Hunnisett. Pam is an English teacher at the school I work at, only she is at the high school. She was on a committee with me this year. I loved getting to know her better. While checking out her latest read on GoodReads.com I noticed that she had a blog listed in her profile. Of course, I couldn't resist checking it out.

I have been thinking about what my professional development goals should be for next year. I am leaning towards working on providing better feedback. On her blog, I found this little gem:


ETIQUETTE and EXPECTATIONS for COMMENTING
Format = friendly letter form Dear ______________________,
A)   POSITIVE:
  1. Encouragement
  2. Praise
  3. Reaction – when positive
(be specific, thoughtful, friendly tone)
B)   CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK:
  1. Suggestions for improvement
  2. Be specific
  3. Be a helpful and kind tutor
C)   Further the Discussion:
  1. Response to another comment
  2. Enter the conversation about the idea the blogger presented in their post
  3. Provide added value
  4. Offer links that could help to improve or continue the conversation
Sincerely,  ________________________________
*Etiquette is to ALWAYS respond to any comment that was given to you on the blog.  Try to further the conversation!
CRITERIA for ASSESSMENT:
SPECIFIC   *   THOUGHTFUL   *   GUMPS   *    STRUCTURE     *   FRIENDLY TONE


How timely!! This is a guideline for students giving feedback on other students blog posts. It will be a great little guideline for providing feedback in writing - one of my nemesis!! Yahoo!!

3 comments:

n.c.ackroyd said...

I am trying to adapt this into guidelines for my University students giving each other feedback on their writing. What does GUMPS stand for? I assume it is not Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Propeller and Seatbelts and Switches.

Dawn said...

It is an acronym for editing:

Grammar
Usage
Mechanics
Punctuation
Spelling

Pamela said...

Ah shucks Dawn! Likewise, I've loved getting to know you and I'm so inspired by your work too! So glad to have found your blogs too! ;)